- Thanks to the joint efforts of Swarovski Optik and "Le Balkan-Bulgaria"
Foundation the pelican colony this year was rescued.
- The seven pelican nests built on the artificial wooden platform are sufficient prove for
the effectiveness of the chosen method. It shows how the future management efforts should
- Despite of the flooding, the 1999s breeding season was successful thanks to the
installation of the thick "sandwiches" made of reed sheaves.
- The breeding success of the colony was very high 1.14 at 0.87 on the average (for
the period 1955-1998).
- The measures taken in the autumn of 1998 were absolutely necessary for the survival of
the colony and have to be repeated,
- The artificial wooden platform has to be enlarged twice,
- The fence has to be moved back for at least 15-20 m, to increase the breeding place.
- An artificial raft anchored in the open water near the existing colony has to be built
as an alternative new breeding islet,
- The threats and limiting factors in the pelicans feeding ground have to be investigated
- In the neighboring Romanian wetlands
- In the micro reservoirs around Srebarna lake.
- The public awareness about the pelican conservation project has to be increased. An
important part of this promotion is the publishing of Branta magazine as a basic
informative tool of Le Balkan International.